If you have a website hosted by Church of Ireland Hosting Services, we recommend that you initiate a regular backup schedule. It is especially important to back up your website before and after undertaking any major development work.
Please click here to find out more about Church of Ireland Hosting Services.
When you were sent information about your site, you were sent FTP details to connect (see also Uploading Files via FTP)
FTP Connection Details
Host Server IP: 22.214.171.124
Passive or PASV checked ‘on’
Username: As advised by the Hostmaster (eg parish.diocese.anglican.org)
Password: As supplied by the Hostmaster
Download and install an FTP Client of your choice.
There are many FTP Clients freely available, such as CuteFTP and WISE FTP (referenced above), in this instance we will use Core FTP LE to download the HTDOCS folder to a local folder on your computer.
Add a folder on your computer where you wish to download your files for safekeeping.
Connect to your FTP Server, using the details provided. Select all items contained within your Root folder, and click ‘download’ or ‘get’ to download to your site.
If you have multiple folders and files, you may choose to download them in batches.
Step–by–Step instructions on how to download the contents of your HTDOCS folder via FTP.
Clicking on images below will enlarge.
1) create a dedicated backup folder on your computer.
It is also a good idea to back this up as well as all other information on your computer.
In this instance, we are creating a folder called C:\BackUps\parish.diocese.anglican.org\htdocsNov2014 as the backup has been taken in November 2014.
2) Open your FTP Client, in this instance we will use Core FTP LE.
Enter your details as supplied by the Hostmaster. And click on ‘Connect’.
3) After clicking connect, you will be attached to the remote webserver by FTP (on the right hand pane) and your local computer (on the left hand pane).
The webserver should open at HTDOCS by default, if not, click on the folder to open it.
You will need to navigate to your backup folder on the left hand pane.
4) Select the files you wish to download. If you have a large number of files and folders, you may wish to download them in batches.
Once you have the files selected, click the ‘Download’ button, circled in red below.
5) You will now be left with a copy of your files and folders in the local computer (left hand pane) as well as the live version on the webserver (right hand pane)
That is how simple it is to back up your current website.
If you have any queries about this, please don’t hesitate to contact Church of Ireland Hosting Services by email.