Update: Church of Ireland Guidance in relation to Novel Coronavirus (Covid–19)
From the Archbishop–elect of Armagh & the Archbishop of Dublin
Five guidelines for parishes:
1. Follow all public health guidance provided by state authorities
2. Physical interaction during services, including the Sign of Peace, should be suspended
3. Stay at home if you feel ill and display influenza–like symptoms
4. The Church’s duty of care extends to members of the clergy – If you have those symptoms, do not call the clergy for pastoral visitation. Pastoral support for parishioners who are unable to attend church services should be provided by telephone or online (e.g. Skype).
5. Guidance on Holy Communion – Everyone administering Holy Communion should wash their hands or use alcohol–based hand gel before beginning. Holy Communion should be administered only in one kind (bread) and placed into the hands only and not onto the tongue. Only the celebrant should drink from the chalice.
Further diocesan arrangements may be issued by the diocesan bishop. These are available on diocesan websites and www.ireland.anglican.org
Current public health guidance
In the Republic of Ireland, parishes should follow the new public health guidance issued by the Government – no mass gatherings involving more than 100 people, if located indoors, or involving more than 500 people, if located outdoors.
In Northern Ireland, the public health guidance regarding mass gatherings is unchanged. Monitor the information displayed on the Public Health Agency website on a daily basis: www.publichealth.hscni.net
We will continue to keep our guidelines under constant review as the situation develops.
Archbishop–elect of Armagh
Archbishop of Dublin
Church of Ireland Press Office Tel: (028) 9082 8880 – from Northern Ireland & Great Britain Tel: (048) 9082 8880 – from Republic of Ireland Email: Press Office
07774 295 369
For further information please contact:
Church of Ireland House
61–67 Donegall Street
Church of Ireland Press Office
Tel: (028) 9082 8880 – from Northern Ireland & Great Britain
Tel: (048) 9082 8880 – from Republic of Ireland
Email: Press Office
Press Officer 07774 295 369