Standing Committee & RB
Standing Committee News
The Standing Committee of the General Synod met on Tuesday, 22nd November 2022, in an online format. Canon Gillian Wharton opened the meeting with a reading from Luke chapter 21 and in prayer remembering leaders and also people who live in the shadows of our world and are seeking peace, transformation, and compassion with action to meet their needs.
The Archbishop of Armagh welcomed Bishop Adrian Wilkinson to his first meeting of Standing Committee in his new capacity as Bishop of Cashel, Ferns and Ossory.
Mr Arthur Foster–Sweeney was declared elected to the Standing Committee as the lay representative of 55 years or under for the Diocese of Tuam, Killala and Achonry, succeeding Ms Rebecca Morrow.
The Standing Committee approved an amendment to the terms of reference of the Advisory Council to the Church of Ireland Centre for Education at Dublin City University, to allow for its membership to include at least one external academic expert from the island of Ireland.
On the recommendation of the Central Communications Board, the Standing Committee approved an additional subvention from the General Synod Royalties Fund of up to €5,000 towards the publication of The Architectural History of the Church of Ireland, by Dr Michael O’Neill, subject to clarification on printing costs.
The following appointments were made:
- Ms Hazel Corrigan, the Ven Stephen McBride, and Ms Judy Peters to serve on the working group to review the Dignity in Church Life Prevention of Bullying and Harassment Policy:
- the Ven Barry Forde, the Very Revd Lynda Peilow, and the Revd Christine O’Dowd–Smyth to serve on the working group on the future provision of chaplaincy services to third level educational institutions;
- Canon Malcolm Kingston, the Very Revd Lynda Peilow, and the Ven Roderic West to serve on the working group on the future of curacies;
- Ms Georgina Copty as a member of the Commission for Christian Unity and Dialogue;
- Dr Bridget Nichols as a Church of Ireland member of the Irish Council of Churches Executive Committee;
- the Very Revd Niall Sloane to represent the Church of Ireland at the Conference of European Churches, taking place in June 2023 in Estonia; and
- the Revd Catherine Simpson as a member of the Governing Council of the Church of Ireland Theological Institute.
The Archbishop of Armagh expressed his best wishes for Christmas to the members of Standing Committee. The meeting closed with the Grace.
Church of Ireland Press Office Tel: (028) 9082 8880 – from Northern Ireland & Great Britain Tel: (048) 9082 8880 – from Republic of Ireland Email: Press Office
07774 295 369
For further information please contact:
Church of Ireland House
61–67 Donegall Street
Church of Ireland Press Office
Tel: (028) 9082 8880 – from Northern Ireland & Great Britain
Tel: (048) 9082 8880 – from Republic of Ireland
Email: Press Office
Press Officer 07774 295 369