Most of the records of the Irish dioceses were destroyed in the fire in the Public Record Office of Ireland in 1922.
For a list of the records of the ecclesiastical records which were destroyed, extracted from this source:
Herbert Wood, A guide to the records deposited in the Public Record Office of Ireland (Dublin, 1919)
and made available to the RCB Library by Beyond 2022 Ireland’s Virtual Record Repository by clicking this link to download a PDF.
See also beyond2022.ie
The Library holds records from the following dioceses:–
- Ardfert & Aghadoe – view handlist as a PDF File
- Cashel, Emly, Waterford & Lismore– view handlist as a PDF File
- Clogher – view handlist as a PDF File
- Clonfert & Kilmacduagh – view handlist as a PDF File
- Cloyne – view handlist as a PDF File
- Cork, Cloyne & Ross – view handlist as a PDF File
- Dublin, Glendalough & Kildare – The extensive list for Dublin & Glendalough is in two parts. For part one click here and for part two click here
- Elphin & Ardagh – view handlist as a PDF file
- Killaloe & Kilfenora
- Kilmore – view handlist as a PDF file
- Limerick, Ardfert & Agahdoe – view handlist of Limerick collection as a PDF file. View handlist of Ardfert & Aghadoe collection as a PDF file.
- Meath – view handlist as a PDF file.
(For catalogue and background to the Meath Diocesan Archive see this link)
- Ossory, Ferns & Leighlin
- Tuam, Killala & Achonry
Diocesan records are subject to a 40 year rule
Handlists of some of these records are available in the Library