The Working Group on Disability was established in 2005. Its terms of reference are to:
- Promote the inclusion and equivalence of people living with disability into the life of the Church of Ireland and in God’s Kingdom here on earth;
- Promote an awareness of people living with disability;
- Recognise the contributions that people living with disability can make to the Church and society; and
- Liaise with and influence church structures and committees on issues relating to living with disability.
The challenge for the Church is to encourage dioceses and parishes, not only to conform to the law in each jurisdiction, but to implement a policy to make all aspects of church life and worship accessible to all. The following statement determining the Church’s policy has been approved by the Standing Committee of General Synod:
- The Church of Ireland recognises that each person is entitled to participate fully in the life of the Church;
- The Church is committed to keeping policies, practices and procedures under review to ensure that people with disabilities are not treated less favourably;
- The Church aims to encourage members, employees and others acting on its behalf to promote practices and attitudes which do not discriminate against people with disabilities.
Please click here for Working Group on Disability news.
Please click here to access resources for disability awareness.